RSD Team Spotlight

Dawn Alexander

Third grade teacher at Tom McCall Elementary

Dawn is in her 29th year of teaching.  When she started teaching in Redmond, she began at Vern Patrick Elementary until Tom McCall opened.  Dawn has taught 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade and her first 11 years of teaching were in Reno.  In 1996, she was selected as the Presidential Awardee in Elementary Mathematics for the state of Nevada.

“I come from a ranching background and was involved in 4-H and the Nevada Jr. Hereford Association,” shares Alexander.

“My husband, Ron, and I have 5 acres and my son, Cooper has been involved in 4-H and FFA.  He has a small herd of Hereford cattle that we enjoy showing and raising. Cooper just graduated from Redmond High and is currently attending Wyo-Tech in Laramie, Wyoming. We also enjoy camping and four-wheeling.  I am involved with the alumni association of the Redmond FFA Chapter.  I serve on the Board of Directors of the Deschutes County Farm Bureau, am Chairman of the Women’s Committee and I volunteer on the Board of Directors for the Oregon Hereford Women. I’m a bit of a history buff and am very involved with the Crook Co. Historical Society. I’m also a member of the Sons and Daughters of Oregon Pioneers and am currently researching to become a Daughter of American Revolution Member.

Ten words about what teaching means to me:  learning, enriching, challenging, caring, inspiring, frustrating, patience, laughter, important, knowledge.”

The Ag in the Classroom’s Teacher of the Year recognizes teachers for their creative efforts to teach students about the importance of agriculture in our world.  This year, Dawn Alexander was the first recipient of the award!

“I am fortunate to be able to share my passion for agriculture with students and help them develop an awareness and understanding of how important agriculture is in their lives. I use hands on lessons to integrate math, science, social studies and reading in my classroom. Agriculture is all around us, from the food we eat, to the clothes we wear, to the buildings we live and learn in.  Redmond High School FFA students visit my classroom several times a year to help with lessons and our annual Ag Day Celebration at school.

The work we do every day in the classroom requires a sense of adventure, determination and a willingness to make mistakes. It is with a sense of compassion and urgency that we need to discover our student’s strengths, hidden talents, passions, and their inner desire to learn.”

Congratulations, Dawn, for being selected as Ag in the Classroom’s first ever Teacher of the Year and thank you for your dedication to our students!