November Team Spotlight

Mary Williams, Driver Trainer in Transportation Services

Born & raised in Redmond, I was asked to drive a school bus for RSD by Don & Norma Wheaton back in 1981.  At the time, it was appealing to me because it allowed me to be off work during the times when my two daughters were home from school.

I began as a substitute driver for two years and was hired as a full time driver in 1983.  My first route was in the Redmond Heights area, then I spent nine years driving for students in the Cline falls area and 11 years in the Tumalo area.  I have had the opportunity to deliver three generations of children to and from school for many years and they are like my extended family!  It has been a joy!

I was certified to be a Driver Trainer in 2005 and in Salem Oregon, I learned how to become a third party trainer and examiner for ODE and the DMV. As the District Driver Trainer, I have trained and/or tested drivers from Redmond, Sisters, Madras, Prineville, Mitchell, Culver and Bend and other states when they come to work with us.  Over the past eight years I have trained and/or tested more than 273 drivers for Redmond School District.

Each year I visit every elementary school to teach the new kindergarten students about how to ride the bus safely.  It really puts a smile on my face seeing their dedication to doing things right on the school bus.  Besides driving and training for transportation, I have worked in several capacities in the district ranging from substitute custodian to nutrition services worker at RHS.  I have also served on the negotiations team for OSEA and have represented Transportation Department at Safety Committee meetings.

I truly work with a great group of people in our department and the district. I have worked here for more than 30 years and it has been a rewarding career. Thank you to Redmond School District!

Mary’s supervisor, Michelle Rainville, shares, I have had the pleasure to work with Mary for the past 10 years.  Mary is very knowledgeable about pupil transportation and I have learned so much from her over the years.  She is respected and trusted by the Transportation Staff and is a mentor to many. When I think of Mary, a big heart comes to mind.  She is a friend to all!”

Thank you, Mary, for your commitment to excellence and safety at Redmond School District and for your many years of service!