January Team Spotlight – Megan Story

Language Arts Teacher at Elton Gregory Middle School

January’s Redmond School District Team Spotlight is on Megan Storey, a second year middle school teacher with the district!  Megan teaches Language Arts at the 7th and 8th grade level at Elton Gregory Middle School.

“I grew up in Portland in a very big, fun family.  My favorite memories as a kid are whitewater rafting trips with my dad!  After high school I headed to Corvallis where I studied political science at Oregon State University.  During college, I spent my summers working for my dad’s rafting company in Maupin. I guided boats, ran the office and made lunches for customers.

Storey Rafting Megan rafting the Deschutes River.

After college I decided that teaching was really my calling and enrolled at Concordia University to get my Masters in Teaching.  After receiving my degree, I took a huge risk and moved to Central Oregon (where I didn’t know many people or have many connections). I just knew I needed to be in the high desert, close to the mountains, rivers and quiet. It was the greatest move of my life. Ten years later I am still here, working in my dream job, married to a great guy and enjoying every day!

I first began my teaching career working as a substitute teacher.  A year later I began teaching at Sisters Middle School.  I worked in Sisters for 6 years before coming to Redmond.  This is my second year with Redmond School District and I couldn’t be more thrilled to be here!  The warm, welcoming staff and community made my transition to this district easy.  There are so many opportunities for learning and growth here in Redmond School District as well. It was truly the best career move I have made since deciding to move to Central Oregon!

Education is truly my passion. I get to come to work every day and hang out with a bunch of awesome kids – I mean, it really doesn’t get better than that! Our days are creative, funny, and so rewarding. It’s not easy by any means, but SO worth the challenge.

I am currently pursuing my license to become an administrator. While I know my love of education will lead to educational leadership someday, I don’t foresee leaving the classroom any time soon. It’s really just a great time in my life to take these classes and put in the time it takes to get the license! My passion for quality curriculum and quality teaching is what drives me to get this license. I hope to use it to help improve those fields in education someday.

In addition to pursuing her Administrative License, Megan is actively engaged both in her school and district-wide.  She serves on the EGMS school leadership team, the district common core team and co-leads the sparrow club activities this year.  Megan also serves as a mentor to a student teacher.

Tracie Renwick, EGMS Principal shares, Megan embodies a unique combination of mature wisdom and youthful enthusiasm.  We can always count on Megan to be ten steps ahead with innovative thinking, creative teaching tricks, and unmatched energy.  She holds high expectations for her students and they respond without exception to her genuine commitment and personalized approach to teaching.

Thank you, Megan, for your leadership skills and dedication to our students!  We are honored to have you on our team!