March Team Spotlight – Michael Waugh

February’s Redmond School District Team Spotlight is on Michael Waugh, Middle School Math Teacher at Tumalo Community School. 

Michael grew up in Southern California as the youngest of three children.  He attended St. Mary’s College of California where he received a degree in Business Administration and Economics.  Upon graduation, he held an array of positions ranging from baseball player to river guide, grant writer to private sector worker, but mainly, he traveled.  Michael lived and worked in three foreign countries and traveled to over a dozen more.  In 2005 he moved to Bend, sight unseen, drawn to the outdoor lifestyle that he still enjoys today.

“I quickly realized that it was time to follow my childhood passion of teaching, so I enrolled in the first master’s cohort at OSU-Cascades.  I was fortunate to secure a job at Tumalo and am very grateful to have had the opportunity to work with an amazing staff, student, and parent population while there.

My wife and I have accepted positions to teach middle school at the Brent International School of Manila in the Philippines next year.  Teaching abroad has been a dream of ours and we both feel that the time is right.  We know that our international experience will greatly enhance both our professional and private selves, but leave with bittersweet feelings as we will sorely miss our Central Oregon family.  We look forward to teaching in a diverse population while enjoying the tropical beauty of Southeast Asia.  Our plan is to return to Central Oregon upon the completion of our two year contract and continue our careers in education.

I entered education for two reasons: community and opportunity.  I have always loved the community atmosphere of schools and Tumalo Community School and Redmond School District exemplify what it means to be a community of learners and citizens.  The staff at Tumalo is the most caring and dedicated group of professionals that I have ever met.  They work tirelessly to improve the lives of the people they encounter and I am eternally grateful to have worked within such an amazing team.  Secondly, I love education because of the endless opportunity that it provides.  My goal is that every person that walks through my door leaves with a belief and skills to accomplish anything that they desire.  I also relish in the opportunity that I have to learn something new each and every day.  Thank you to the Redmond School District and Tumalo School for the past 7 years.”

Justin Nicklous, Tumalo Community School Principal shares,

“Michael is an exceptional educator who is always reflecting and looking for ways to improve his instruction.  I truly appreciate the dedication and work ethic Michael brings to his students, colleagues and Tumalo Community School.  The Tumalo Community is excited for Michael and his family’s upcoming opportunity in the Philippines and wish them all the best.”

Thank you, Michael, for choosing education as your calling!  We are thankful for your dedication and wish you and your family the best of luck in your new adventure!