RSD Team Spotlight – Nikki Ellerman

Nikki Ellerman, 4th Grade Teacher, Tom McCall Elementary School

How long have you been working for RSD and what did you do before coming here?

I’ve been here at RSD since the end of August, and I’ve been loving every minute of it!  Before moving here, I was teaching 1st grade in Grants Pass, OR, at Allen Dale Elementary.

What made you decide to teach as a profession?

I worked with kids in an after school program when I graduated from college and realized just how little time parents today actually get to spend with their kids (especially compared to the amount of time that teachers are with those kiddos).  It is undeniable that the role of a teacher in a child’s life is unequivocal. It was during my position there that I decided I wanted to help those kids feel safe, cared for, and important, regardless of their background and circumstances. I wanted to be the constant in their lives.

What do you enjoy most or find most rewarding about teaching?

My absolute favorite part of teaching is hard to pin down. I love that every day is new and unpredictable.  I love that I am making a difference in the lives of the kiddos that I get to influence and work with every day. I love working with other passionate and dedicated professionals.  In a nutshell, I really do LOVE teaching.

What do you do in your free time?

In my free time, which there isn’t too terribly much outside of being fairly busy as a new teacher here in RSD.  I enjoy camping, fishing, cooking, and watching the NFL (even though my Cowboys continually break my heart) with my fabulous boyfriend. Life is pretty darn good!

Is there anything else you’d like to share?

I am absolutely blown away by the warm, supportive culture of this district. The vibe that I have felt since first meeting members of the Redmond District (which was at the job fair last spring) has been so amazing. Everyone that I have interacted with has been so kind and open, from the staff here at Tom McCall all the way up to Superintendent McIntosh.

Drew Frank, Tom McCall Elementary School Principal shares,

“Nikki has seamlessly woven her wonderful spirit into the Tom McCall family. She arrived with huge enthusiasm for kids and this has translated into wonderful relationships with her students!”

Welcome, Nikki!  And thank you for choosing to make a difference in the lives of Redmond School District students!