Team Spotlight – Stephanie Wilcox

Stephanie Wilcox, Instructional Coach for Redmond School District

How long have you been working for RSD and what did you do before coming here?

I have been working in the Redmond School District for eight years.   During my first seven years in Redmond, I taught 3rd grade at John Tuck Elementary.  Prior to coming to Redmond, I taught for four years at various levels in Hermiston.

What do you do in your role as an instructional coach?

My job as an instructional coach is to support elementary teachers in three main areas:

• Synergy grade book and grading practices
  • Curriculum implementation
  • Instructional practices

I work with individuals, teams, schools, and principals to provide training, support and coaching around areas of need.  My job as an instructional coach changes every day–which I love!

What made you decide to teach as a profession?

I love to learn and consider myself to be a lifelong learner. I have always been drawn to working with children and believe strongly that education is a gift.  It can literally change lives, provide opportunity, and make dreams reality. All children deserve this gift. I became a teacher to encourage children to develop and treasure the love of learning.  I cherish helping each student realize their own potential and love assisting students in exploring the possibilities they have in life. Teaching is one of the most challenging, yet rewarding, professions.  My heart will always be in education.

What do you enjoy most or find most rewarding about your role?

The instructional coach position is new to me this year.  I am constantly learning new things and am challenged every day. It is most rewarding when I am able to positively impact teachers’ work. Each teacher in the Redmond School District works incredibly hard to meet the needs of their students in an ever-changing educational environment.   I strive to be an integral part of the support system for  teachers. If I can help teachers do their enormous job in any way–be it working with them to improve a piece of their craft or providing resources to help improve efficiency and success with children–I am rewarded in knowing I have made a positive impact.

Would you like to share anything about your family?

We are an active family with three children who all attend school in Redmond. We have one child who is a sophomore at RVHS. Our two younger children attend kindergarten at John Tuck.

Stephanie WilcoxIs there anything else you’d like to share?

The Redmond School District has allowed me to pursue my passion for teaching and provided me many opportunities for personal and professional growth.  I share Redmond School District’s values and love the District’s focus on community, families, and children.  I am very appreciative and grateful for the opportunity to share in the work of this district and community!

Linda Seeberg, Executive Director of Academic Programs, shares,

“Stephanie has enthusiastically embraced the opportunity to support her colleagues as they work to implement two new curriculum programs.  Having so recently come from the classroom, she has a clear perspective of the challenges teachers face.  She wants to help remove barriers for teachers and provide support where they need it.  We are thankful for her dedication and leadership!”

Thank you, Stephanie, for your hard work in supporting our teachers and your passion for serving our students!