Team Spotlight – Darrin Hubbard

Darrin Hubbard, Head Custodian at Redmond High School, is the focus of this month’s Team Spotlight!

How long have you been working for Redmond School District & what did you do before coming here?

I’m starting my 20th year working in the district.  Prior to working here  I worked in grocery.  I am a Redmond High School graduate.  I attended Terrebonne Community School, Obsidian Middle School and RHS.  When I first began working for the district, I was a night custodian at Hartman the year it opened.  I’ve served as a custodian at every level, elementary middle and high school.

What made you decide that you wanted to work in education?  

At 22, my mindset wasn’t really thinking long term.  I knew I wanted weekends off.  But it didn’t take long to realize that working in our schools was much more than that.  I love being a part of the community I grew up in and watching students grow.

What do you find most rewarding about your job?

I’ve been able to watch students grow up, from kindergarten through graduation.  In fact, the year I started at Terrebonne, I actually followed that kindergarten class.  When they began middle school, I was promoted to work at Hartman Middle School that same year.  Then I was promoted to the high school level when they became freshmen.  I’ve followed that same group of kids through graduation. That’s pretty unique and rewarding to me.

I also really enjoy the summers when we can dive into larger scale projects where can make larger changes.  We’ve tackled some really big painting projects and minor remodels lately during the summer months.

What are you most proud of?

I’m really proud of the fact that I can work in the school where I graduated and be able to make positive changes for the students and community.  There are very few years of my life that haven’t been spent in a Redmond school!

Is there anything else you’d like to share about Redmond School District?

I really enjoy the whole sense of community that we have.  Everyone is a team player.  I’ve really made some great friends that are teachers and there are a lot of great people working for the district.

Tony Pupo, Redmond High School Principal, share this about Darrin…

Darrin is an amazing asset to Redmond High School.  You can always count on him to be there, to get the job done and to always be right on whatever task is needed.  He takes incredible pride in making our campus a clean, safe place for students and staff.  We’re so lucky to have his positive attitude at RHS, he is truly an integral part of our team.”

Thank you, Darrin, for your hard work and dedication to supporting our students and staff at Redmond High School!