Team Spotlight – John Brown

Redmond School District HVAC Technician

John Brown is Redmond School District’s HVAC Technician. John is responsible for supporting all of the district’s 13 school facilities as well as other district buildings such as the District Office and Transportation Services.

What does your job entail?

A large segment of my work is focused on preventative maintenance of our HVAC systems in all school district facilities. This involves changing air filters, belts, equipment lubrication, cleaning coils and monitoring refrigerant levels. The rest of my work is spent monitoring electronic digital direct control systems, adjusting heating/cooling schedules, inventory management, supply ordering, diagnostic troubleshooting and equipment installations/replacements.

John Brown 9.16 (1 of 3)

How long have you been working for Redmond School District and what did you do before coming here?

I have been working for RSD for a year and 4 months.  I previously worked at Central Oregon Heating and Cooling as the Commercial Division Project Manager where I was in charge of scheduling employees, ordering equipment for all commercial division projects and assisted in field installation on projects all over the state.

What do you enjoy most or find most rewarding about your role?

My role as the HVAC Technician is incredibly rewarding. Not only am I responsible for the climate in each school and facility, I am in part responsible for a healthy and comfortable learning environment. We all have different “thermostats,” and I do my best to support everyone’s needs. I have had to become a bit of a weatherman to predict the right settings to keep schools cool on hot days. But overall I really enjoy working with the staff through the entire district. It’s really rewarding on those days when I go from “zero to hero” when I get heat operating in a school or getting that AC system back up and running on a 90 degree day.

What projects have kept you busy over the summer?

This summer was a busy one for the entire facilities team. We were able to support programming the HVAC systems at Elton Gregory and Tom McCall Elementary. I also worked to ensure Ridgeview, OMS and Sage Elementary had working electronic control systems. I also spent a portion of my time supporting the new Redmond Early Learning Center so that it was ready to roll for our new kindergarten students.

A screenshot of the electronic control system that John utilizes to maintain the district's HVAC system. Each air handler in the entire district can be accessed digitally and remotely which helps him troubleshoot issues if he is at a different school.

A screenshot of the electronic control system that John utilizes to maintain the district’s HVAC system. Each air handler in the entire district can be accessed digitally and remotely which helps him troubleshoot issues if he is at a different school.

Is there anything else you’d like to share?

I really want to say thank you to everyone for the support and understanding as I try address all of the heating and cooling issues that need attention in the district. I know that when the heating and cooling system is not working properly it has a huge impact not only on staff but the students as well. When I get the call I will do everything in my power to get the problem corrected. I’m so appreciative of everyone’s understanding and support.

More About John

I am an avid bow hunter with 31 years in the field.  I also was a fly fishing guide in Oregon where I still spend time waving a stick looking for “metal heads”  (steelhead). When I’m not outdoors I can be found building classic cars and tinkering in my shop. I have a wife of 19 years and together we have one son, two daughters and 6 grandchildren.

Marcy Tretheway, Facilities Services Supervisor, shares this about John…

“John is truly a gem and a vital member to the district team. He takes customer service to heart. Not only does John excel at his job, he has amazing trouble shooting skills. He is always checking in with employees to ensure that their working and teaching environments are comfortable. I don’t know where our district would be without this gentleman.” 

Tony Pupo, Director of Operations, shares this about John…

“John is golden. He goes above and beyond all of the time. Our district is a better place because of John’s work ethic and his dedication to customer service.”

Thank you, John, for your talent and support to our district!  

We’re so glad you’ve chosen to be a part of our team!