Today, the Oregon Department of Education, in partnership with the Oregon Lottery, announced the inaugural Oregon Regional Teachers of the Year. Annually all 50 states, U.S. territories and the Department of Defense Education Activity name a teacher of the year. For the 2018-19 school year, Oregon’s program has expanded to celebrate exemplary educators in every region.
“It’s inspiring to see the great work of Oregon teachers every day,” Deputy Superintendent Colt Gill said. “I’m pleased we are able to expand this program to recognize dedicated educators across the state, and to raise awareness of best practices. These teachers, their schools and districts should be very proud of the innovation and collaboration that helps deliver students a well-rounded education.”
Oregon educators were identified through a regional application and selection process facilitated by local Education Service Districts. Applicants submitted testimonials and letters of support from principals, superintendents and colleagues for consideration, and were assessed on leadership, instructional expertise, community involvement, understanding of educational issues, professional development and vision by a diverse panel of regional representatives.
2019 Oregon Regional Teachers of the Year:
- Naheed Brown, Mary Woodward Elementary, Tigard Tualatin School District – Northwest Region
- Greg Bryant, North Medford High School, Medford School District – Southern Region
- Marcy Doyle, Yaquina View Elementary School, Lincoln County School District – Mid Coast/South Valley Region
- Michele Engle, Monument School, Monument School District – Eastern Region
- Rhonda Erstrom, Vale Elementary School, Vale School District – Southeast Region
- Robert Fairchild, Weston-McEwan High School , Athena-Weston School District – Northeast Region
- Arlee Hall, Coquille Valley Elementary School, Coquille Valley School District – South Coast Region
- Todd Jones, West Linn High School, West Linn-Wilsonville School District – Metro Region
- Amy Korst, Willamina High School, Willamina School District – Mid-Valley Region
- Keri Pilgrim Ricker, Churchill High School, Eugene School District – South Valley Region
- Tina Roberts, New Teacher Mentor for Gresham Barlow School District – Metro Region
- Matt Rutledge, Mosier Community School, North Wasco County School District – North Central Region
- Rosemary Tyson, Obsidian Middle School, Redmond School District – Central Region
Additional information on the program can be found on the Oregon Teacher of the Year website.
(Press Release from Oregon Department of Education)