Today the Oregon Department of Education, in partnership with the Oregon Lottery, announced Oregon’s 2020 Regional Teachers of the Year! Annually all 50 states, U.S. territories, Washington, D.C. and the Department of Defense Education Activity name a teacher of the year. Last year, Oregon’s Teacher of the Year program expanded to include the celebration of exemplary educators from every region.
“Today’s educators must be equipped with more skills than ever before to meet the unique and important needs of each student they serve,” Oregon Department of Education Director Colt Gill said. “Recognizing these outstanding regional teachers is a privilege and their commitment to the calling of teaching deserves our thanks.”
Each Regional Teacher of the Year will receive a $500 award from the Oregon Lottery, and is automatically considered for the honor of 2020 Oregon Teacher of the Year which will be announced in September.
Oregon educators were identified through a regional application and selection process facilitated by local Education Service Districts. Applicants submitted testimonials and letters of support from principals, superintendents, colleagues and students for consideration, and were assessed on leadership, instructional expertise, community involvement, understanding of educational issues, professional development and vision by a diverse panel of regional representatives.
2020 Oregon Regional Teachers of the Year:
- Dave Case, Hood River Valley High School, Social Studies, Hood River School District
- Susie Chaney, Reedsport Community Charter School, Mathematics, Reedsport School District
- Manda Currier, Buff Elementary School, Special Education, Jefferson School District
- Katelyn Dover, John Tuck Elementary School, First Grade, Redmond School District
- Joshua Dunnell, Farm Home School, Mathematics, Linn Benton Lincoln Education Service District
- Jon Fresh, Westview High School, Special Education, Beaverton School District
- Renee Klein, Marcola School District, Special Education
- Tia McLean, Helman Elementary School, Kindergarten, Ashland School District
- Mercedes Muñoz, Franklin High School, Special Education, Portland Public Schools
- TJ Presley, Pilot Rock Jr./Sr. High School, Mathematics, Pilot Rock School District
- Charles Sanderson, Woodburn Wellness, Business and Sports School, Language Arts, Woodburn School District
- Janel Sorenson, Sutherlin Middle School, Science, Sutherlin School District
- Alissa Tran, Molalla High School, Art, Molalla River School District
Additional information on the program can be found on the Oregon Teacher of the Year website.
(Press Release from Oregon Department of Education)