Woman with dark hair standing in front of school.

December Team Spotlight

Emily Wirtz plays an integral role in supporting students at Redmond High School. Her job role extends far beyond her job description as the High School Success Coordinator and her work is noticed and appreciated by both students and staff. Emily’s position is primarily focused on drop-out prevention, supporting student participation in college level coursework, and supporting student participation in career and technical programs.

Tracie Renwick, Redmond School District’s Director of Human Resources shares,

“Emily’s contributions are significant both at the systems level, and at the individual student intervention level. Emily is a skilled analyst of data, and has been known to set her alarm for midnight to check on the RHS attendance rate data pull. Emily knows and honors students’ stories…their challenges, struggles, hopes and dreams. It is not unusual to see a line of students waiting to check in with her during lunch.

Emily also coordinates the AVID College Readiness System at RHS. She maintains social media options for colleagues to quickly access AVID updates, strategies, and remain informed about professional learning. Emily’s actions demonstrate that she truly believes all students will graduate and find success. This summer, Emily was instrumental in coordinating logistics for our New Teacher Induction week. She is a genuine team player who goes above and beyond for our students and the Redmond Community.”

As you can see, Emily is a dedicated and talented member of the RSD team and very deserving of this month’s Team Spotlight! Please read below to learn more about Emily!

About Emily

How long have you been working for RSD and what did you do before coming here?

I have worked at Redmond High School for 14 years. My first 12 years I worked as a Language Arts teacher and for the last two years I have worked as the RHS High School Success Coordinator and RHS AVID Site Coordinator roles both years. Before RHS I was in my MAT to become a teacher at George Fox University in Newberg. 

In my positions now I work with students, staff, and families to support student success. My efforts focus on graduation preparedness, student attendance, preparation for life after high school, I support the AVID elective students and staff, and more. 

What do you enjoy most or find most rewarding about your role?

The most rewarding part of my role is seeing students create their own success from the tools they have learned as a Panther. And I love graduation. Graduation is the bookend to their success at RHS and the beginning of whatever they want, especially if students take advantage of the various opportunities within our school. 

What made you decide that you wanted to work in education?

I decided I wanted to get into education because I had a few amazing teachers that inspired me; they taught me to think critically and to be a skeptic of sources. They also encouraged me relentlessly and I am still a student learning and pursuing personal and professional growth due to their inspiration. 

In my 14 years as a Panther many things have changed, but my Panther Pride has not. The students and staff at Redmond High School make me want to be my best for them!

In my free time, I love exploring the outdoors and learning about the world with my amazing husband Kyle, my awesome son Kaleb, and the rest of my fabulous family and friends.

“Emily is a huge asset to RHS! Her efforts with the High School Success Team, AVID, and our attendance initiatives are making a difference for our students.  Her contagious optimism and support positively impact the culture of our school and our community.”
– Dr. Audrey Haugan, RHS Principal