Governor Kate Brown signed House Bill 3427, the Student Success Act, into law on May 20, 2019. This law aims to correct three decades of underinvestment in our schools and our children and includes sweeping provisions for new and improved services for children and families.
It carries significant investments in early learning, existing programs and new efforts to bring Oregon within reach of funding schools at the Quality Education Model level for the first time since the inception of the Quality Education Commission in 2001. This could include adding instructional time, providing mental and behavioral health supports, reducing class size, implementing a more well-rounded education, fully funding High School Success (Measure 98), school safety improvements and more.
There are two broad but clearly stated purposes for Student Success Act funds:
- Meet students’ mental or behavioral health needs, and
- Increase academic achievement, including reducing academic disparities for traditionally underserved students.
The Student Success Act clearly outlines that money only can be spent in order to achieve the result of equity for students through these key areas:
- Expanded Instructional Time
- Student Health & Safety
- Reducing Class Size & Caseloads
- Well Rounded Education
WHAT IT MEANS FOR REDMOND SCHOOL DISTRICT
Redmond School District recently conducted a community wide Needs Assessment Survey.
We have asked parents, students, staff and community members to provide feedback on what’s working well, what needs improvement and what suggestions we have regarding:
- Reducing Academic Disparities
- Meeting student mental and behavioral health needs
- Providing a well rounded education (electives, options for advanced learning, STEM, CTE etc.)
- Allowing staff time to collaborate, review data and discuss student growth and achievement
- The strength of our community partners and their impact in supporting students achievement and wellbeing.
STUDENT SUCCESS ACT SURVEY HAS CLOSED
THANK YOU TO ALL PARTICIPANTS FOR YOUR VALUABLE FEEDBACK!